Minor Home Repair Program
About the Program
The Minor Home Repair Program provides loan funds of up to $5,000 for eligible, low-income homeowners to fix exterior code compliance orders to repair or other health and safety issues. Roofs are funded for replacement cost up to $12,000. Most repairs are exterior or interior repairs of plumbing, mechanical, electrical, or accessibility issues such as handicap ramps or door modifications. If needed repairs are too extensive to resolve the code compliance issues, or the health and safety issue, homeowners will not be assisted.
Lead Remediation: The $5,000 no interest loan for home repair may be increased up to $12,000 for lead remediation when there is a child under the age of six living in the home. The State of Michigan's Lead Safe Home program is another source of funding for needed lead remediation that can be partnered with the City's Minor Home Repair program. For more information on the State of Michigan program:
There are three(3) options for the homeowner to select for repayment of Minor Home Repair funds:
- Option #1: No interest, no payment loan secured by a mortgage and promissory note. Payable upon sale or transfer of property, death, or payment in full.
- Option #2: Pay 50% of the project cost within 5 years and the City of Battle Creek will then discharge the full mortgage amount.
- Option #3: Want to receive this assistance as a grant? Homeowners may choose to receive a grant for necessary repairs by providing a dollar for dollar match up to $5,000 dollars. For example, if repair estimates equal $5,000, the homeowner is required to pay $2,500 and the City of Battle Creek Minor Home Repair Program will pay $2,500. (No Mortgage will be recorded.)
- Cannot be used for an item that is covered by warranty or a claim on a homeowner's insurance policy.
- Cannot assist renters, manufactured housing or homes on land contracts.
- Can only be received one time per property.
This program is administered and funded by the City of Battle Creek through the Community Development Block Grant Program (CDBG) with funding through U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).
An application with supporting documentation must be submitted to apply for the program. In addition to the completed application the following documents will also be needed:
- Proof of Homeownership (copy of the deed, liber and page to the property)
- The declaration page from the current Homeowners Insurance Policy
- Proof of income for all household members (W-2s, 2 months of pay-stubs, tax returns or benefit statements)
- Verification that property taxes are paid up-to-date
- Copy of Driver's License / Identification Card
To be eligible, you must:
- Live in the City of Battle Creek.
- Be a United States citizen or legal resident alien.
- Have owned and occupied the single family home for at least six months.
- Be current on property taxes.
- Have current homeowner’s insurance.
- Certify that the property is not up for sale and is the primary residence of the applicant.
- Have a household income (all members) that is at or below the following income guidelines.
Applications are available at:
10 N Division Street
Battle Creek, MI 49014
You may also download the Minor Home Repair Application (PDF) and return it to our office.
Contact: Matt Flanders, Housing Rehabilitation Coordinator
Phone/FAX: 269-966-3323, or email: MBFlanders@battlecreekmi.gov