Join our team
Consider being a member of the Battle Creek Fire Department team. Opportunities for advancement are good in this modern firefighting force. Employment benefits, stability, and the overall work environment are excellent.
We are looking for a driven group of candidates that represents the diverse community we serve in Battle Creek. Read on to learn more and we hope you will consider joining us.
An application process takes place every two years to develop an entry-level firefighter hiring list. In April 2019 candidates are about to complete physical agility tests; a new list will be coming later this year.
There is a $20 testing fee to complete the application. You must pay this fee to be eligible for the written exam. Applicants also will receive a downloadable study guide and practice test for the written exam. Testing fees can be paid with cash or check at the City Clerk's Office, Room 111 at City Hall, 10 N.Division St. Business hours are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.
- Complete the city's employment application.
- Participate in the entry-level written Civil Service Examination.
- If examination is accomplished with a 70 percent or higher, a physical agility exam will be scheduled. The physical agility consists of an obstacle course simulation of various firefighting tasks, with time restrictions.
- Upon satisfactory completion of the physical agility, an oral interview is held before a panel.
- The scores from the written and oral examinations are combined and individuals are placed on an eligibility list. When job openings become available, candidates are considered in groups of five, starting at the top of the list. This list will remain in effect for two years.
Civil Service Commission
The Civil Service Commission is the board that oversees the process for hiring and promotion within the Fire Department.
See more information on the Civil Service Commission through this link to the City Clerk's web page.