Republic Services is our residential curbside waste hauler
This change started April 1, 2021. If you live in the city limits, you receive:
- Weekly, unlimited curbside garbage pickup
- Every-other-week curbside recycling pickup (must sign up)
- Seasonal curbside yard waste pickup (starts the week of April 5)
- Weekly, unlimited curbside bulk waste pickup (must wrap mattresses and box springs; no commercial, construction, tire waste)
- Spring cleanup (late May); fall cleanup (October); live holiday tree pickup
You will see services mostly are the same, but to continue recycling in the city, you must tell Republic you wish to do so. You can do that in two ways:
- Call Republic - 269-216-8008
- Send Republic an email - BCrecycles@republicservices.com
In your email, please include your name, address, phone number, and email address. You will receive one recycling cart at no extra cost. Using either method, you can request to rent a trash and/or yard waste cart from Republic, at an additional cost.
Republic will deliver carts monthly, so you will have a brief gap in service. We appreciate everyone's patience!
Información en Español
Information in Burmese
- New to the city, or otherwise need to look up your service day? Type your address into our interactive map, at this link: Trash and Recycling Map
- Note that trash pickup is weekly, and recycling pickup is every other week. When you find your orange or blue week on the interactive map above, we encourage you to print the recycling calendar. You can also view this static map.
- Holiday Schedule
- Yard waste: Typically lasting each year from early April to December, leaves and other yard waste can be placed at the curb for pickup on neighbors' regular collection day. Yard waste will be collected from April 4 through December 9, 2022.
Click here for more information on yard waste and leaf disposal.
- You must wrap mattresses and box springs in plastic bags before placing them at the curb for pickup. You can purchase bags from the UPS Store in Minges Creek Plaza, 5420 A Beckley Road in Battle Creek. Hours are 8 a.m.-6:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, and 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday. Last known prices per bag were $3.75 twin, $4.50 full, $5 queen, and $6 king.
Curbside RecyclingCurbside recycling is included in your monthly city utility bill. Simply place all recyclables together in your cart and set at the curb by 6 a.m. on your regular pickup day.
Questions? Need to sign up for curbside recycling?
Contact Republic at 269-216-8008 or BCrecycles@republicservices.com.
The city and Calhoun County coordinate on a variety of special recycling events throughout the year, for items like household hazardous waste, scrap tires, and more. See those on the calendar above, with more detail at the Calhoun County Recycling website.
- Make sure your items are clean and dry before placing them in your cart.
- No plastic bags in your recycling cart.
- Keep all items loose in the cart -- do not place items in plastic or paper bags.
- When in doubt, throw it out. If you are not 100 percent sure an item can be recycled in Battle Creek, throw it in the trash. This eliminates the possibility of contaminating your entire cart.
Recycling drop-off locations
For additional recycling needs beyond the curbside, check out the following location.
For additional information on how to recycle specific items, visit earth911.com.
- Calhoun County Marshall Recycling Center -- 13300 15 Mile Road, Marshall (Reopening Tuesday, Nov. 9, 2021)
Hours: 12-4 p.m. Tuesdays; 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Wednesdays
Stay in your vehicle, and place items in your trunk or truck bed. Please consider placing items in bags or boxes that can be left at the recycling center.
See the acceptable materials flyer.
- C&C Landfill -- 14800 P Drive North, Marshall
Hours: 7 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday; 7 a.m.-noon Saturday (Closed Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's Day)
Location accepts paper, cardboard, plastic, metal cans, and glass.
Click this link to request a FREE recycling pass.
- Red Med Box -- Battle Creek Police Department lobby, 34 N. Division St.
Hours: 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Monday-Thursday; 8 a.m.-noon Friday
If you have unwanted or expired medications, leave them in the original or prescription bottle, cross out your name and address (but leave the medication name visible), and deposit in the Red Med Box.
DO NOT deposit needles, thermometers, IV bags, bloody/infectious waste, hydrogen peroxide, business waste (like from a nursing home), empty containers, or personal care products (like shampoo).