Police Career Opportunities
City of Battle Creek Police Department: Serving with Pride for Over 100 Years.
About the Department
The Battle Creek Police Department serves one of the largest incorporated areas in the State of Michigan. Service is provided to the City of Battle Creek and Bedford Township.
The department is professionally staffed by 112 sworn officers and assisted by 18 civilian employees. This team responds to over 66,000 calls for service annually and provides a variety of services.
New Officer Training
The Battle Creek Police Department goes beyond academy training to ensure that new officers are confident and capable of protecting themselves, and the community they serve. After being sworn in, officers are assigned to the Training Unit for an 80 hour orientation where they are issued their basic equipment and also receive:
- Advance Use of Force Training
- Communication Skills
- Domestic Violence
- The latest in scenario based training
- Problem Solving
The Employment Process
- Complete an application for employment here.
- Participate in the entry level Police Officer Examination.
- If chosen for further consideration beyond exam, interview with a panel of Battle Creek Police Officers, other City employees and a resident of the service area.
- From those who interview, selected applicants are asked to complete and return a background history questionnaire and submit proof of passing Michigan Commission on Law Enforcement Standards (MCOLES) pre-service exam.
- Candidates under serious consideration will be subject to extensive background investigation.
- Selected candidates will be extended a conditional offer of hire.
- Prior to start date undergo physical and psychological evaluation as directed.
- 40 hour work week; time and 1-half for overtime
- Comprehensive Medical and Dental
- Education Incentive
- Life insurance premiums fully paid by employer
- Retirement: 25 and out. Retirement pay is computed at a benefit up to 80% of the final average compensation.
- Sick and Accident plan
- Starting Pay: $43,422 annually
- Upon completion of 4 years of service: $58,500
- Corporal Rank: $60,500
- Up to 5 weeks paid vacation per year