The Bomb Unit is FBI accredited and capable of handling multiple or simultaneous incidents. The unit is staffed with BCPD and KCC police officers that are responsible to respond anywhere within the 5th district of Michigan to suspected explosive devices and Weapon of Mass Destruction (WMD) incidents. Bomb Squad members are "Certified Bomb Technicians" and "HAZMAT" Technician Level trained. The squad is an integral part of the Michigan Regional Response Team Network (RRTN) which was established to provide quick response capability in every region of the state to WMD/Terrorism incidents. The Bomb Unit is outfitted with specialized equipment including bomb suits, x-ray equipment, robots, and an explosive containment transport vessel.
Major services include that the Bomb Unit provides aer:
• Investigation of suspicious packages
• Render safe operations performed on explosive devices
• Disposal of found explosive materials
• Collection and preservation of evidence at bombing scenes
• Post blast crime scene investigations
• Training programs on bomb threat awareness, safety, and explosive device identification