The Battle Creek community is preparing for a re-election campaign event with President Donald Trump planned for next Wednesday, Dec. 18.
This type of visit is exciting for Battle Creek, and comes with many logistical and planning questions and concerns.
Campaign staff, the U.S. Secret Service, city staff, and others will work together to coordinate the needs for this event. While city staff do not yet know all of the details to answer the community’s questions, we want to share what we know today.
We expect to share more as we get closer to the 18th, and we appreciate the questions, and everyone’s patience.
- The campaign rally is scheduled to begin at 7 p.m. at Kellogg Arena, in downtown Battle Creek. We anticipate a larger crowd than the arena’s capacity, so overflow will be at the adjacent Festival Market Square. Please watch the weather forecast, and dress for that day’s conditions, since December weather can be unpredictable, and we would expect cold temperatures and the potential for snow.
- Many neighbors have questions about the cost. As with any special event in the city, staff will track city costs associated with this event. We will seek reimbursement from all eligible and appropriate sources. Requesting money in advance can have legal ramifications.
Kellogg Arena does have a contract with the campaign for services and costs associated with the event; the total will depend on the event’s final timing and activities.
- Please know that staff are working on what parking will look like on Dec. 18 – for neighbors, businesses, and event attendees. We are working on potential shuttles, how people with disabilities can get to the arena, and related issues.
We know now that there is no parking on Dec. 18 in the structure at the corner of McCamly and Hamblin.
- While we don’t have more information on parking and road closures yet, please expect closures, delays, and potential restrictions in and around downtown Battle Creek on Dec. 18.
- The city is not involved in tickets for this event. Anyone interested in attending must register for them at the campaign’s website.
We appreciate everyone’s questions and attention. Please stay tuned for more information as we near the event date next week.