Ready for the new year, the free 2017 wall calendar featuring Kalamazoo River Watershed images from local photographers is now available at locations throughout the region.
The calendar is created by the Battle Creek Area Clean Water Partners. Some of the featured photos for each month are taken from the regular Clean Water Partners photo contest, which calls for seasonal photos from within the watershed. The current photo contest continues through July 31, 2017.
The Kalamazoo River and St. Joseph River watersheds are the two major ones within Calhoun County. The calendar is meant to display the beauty within them and bring focus to groundwater, the source of our drinking water. Area residents can follow the simple steps outlined in the calendar to help protect our water from pollution sources, sustaining it for future generations.
Calendars are now available at locations throughout the county, including city and township halls. They are available at both Battle Creek City Hall, 10 N. Division St., and the Department of Public Works, 150 S. Kendall St. It’s also available on our website, www.battlecreekmi.gov. Navigate to Your Government, Public Works, Environmental Services.
The Battle Creek Area Clean Water Partners are the City of Battle Creek, City of Springfield, Calhoun County Road Department, Calhoun County Water Resources Commission, townships of Bedford, Emmett, Leroy, Newton and Pennfield, the Hart-Dole-Inouye Federal Center, Kellogg Community College, and Battle Creek area schools. The members have the common goal of protecting our area’s waterways. See www.bcwater.org for more information.
Add to your 2017 calendar the following list of dates for our various annual events and activities (watch our calendars and social media for the household hazardous waste and scrap tire collection events, which have yet to be scheduled) –
- Calhoun County Styrofoam collection – Jan. 14, 10 a.m.-noon; Battle Creek Public Works, 150 S. Kendall St.
- Yard waste curbside pickup (city residents) – March 27-Dec. 1
- Recyclerama – April 1, 9 a.m.-1 p.m.; Bailey Park
- Spring cleanup (city residents) – May 1-5
- Children’s Water Festival – May 12
- Rain barrel pickup (pre-orders required) – June 22
- Watershed seasonal photo contest ends – July 31
- Kanoe the Kazoo, Marshall to Battle Creek – Aug. 12
- Calhoun County electronics collection – Aug. 26, 9 a.m.-1 p.m.; Battle Creek (location TBA)
- Fall cleanup (city residents) – Sept. 18-22
- Krazy for the Kazoo river cleanup – Oct. 7
- Spooky Science Saturday – Oct. 28; Kingman Museum at Leila Arboretum
- Fresh Christmas tree curbside pickup (city residents – Dec. 26-Feb. 2