Ready for the new year, the free 2018 wall calendar featuring Calhoun County Kalamazoo River Watershed images from local photographers is now available at locations throughout the region.
The calendar is created by the Battle Creek Area Clean Water Partners. Some of the featured photos for each month are taken from the regular Clean Water Partners photo contest, which calls for seasonal photos from within the watershed. Stay tuned for the next contest, starting in June of 2018.
The Kalamazoo River and St. Joseph River watersheds are the two major ones within Calhoun County. The calendar is meant to display the beauty within them and bring focus to groundwater, the source of our drinking water. Area residents can follow the simple steps outlined in the calendar to help protect our water from pollution sources, sustaining it for future generations.
Calendars are now available at locations throughout the county, including city and township halls, and both Willard Library locations. They are available at both Battle Creek City Hall, 10 N. Division St., and the Department of Public Works, 150 S. Kendall St. It’s also available on our website, www.battlecreekmi.gov. Navigate to Your Government, Public Works, Environmental Services.
The Battle Creek Area Clean Water Partners are the City of Battle Creek, City of Springfield, Calhoun County Road Department, Calhoun County Water Resources Commission, townships of Bedford, Emmett, Leroy, Newton and Pennfield, the Hart-Dole-Inouye Federal Center, Kellogg Community College, and Battle Creek area schools. The members have the common goal of protecting our area’s waterways. See www.bcwater.org for more information.
Add to your 2018 calendar the following list of dates for our various annual events and activities (watch our calendars and social media for the scrap tire collection events, which have yet to be scheduled, and additional events) –
- Calhoun County Styrofoam collection – Jan. 13, 9 a.m.-noon; city Department of Public Works, 150 S. Kendall St.
- Yard waste curbside pickup (city residents) – March 26-Nov. 30
- Recyclerama – April 7, 9 a.m.-1 p.m.; Bailey Park, 1392 Capital Ave. NE
- Spring cleanup (city residents) – May 7-11
- Children’s Water Festival – May 11
- Calhoun County Household Hazardous Waste collections – 1) May 5, 10 a.m.-noon, county building, parking lot at Hanover and Grand streets, Marshall; 2) June 2, 10 a.m.-noon, Toeller Building, 190 E. Michigan Ave., Battle Creek; 3) Sept. 8, 10 a.m.-noon, parking lot at Hanover and Grand streets, Marshall
- Watershed seasonal photo contest begins – June
- Rain barrel pickup (pre-order required; sale likely in April) – June 22, 4-6 p.m., city Department of Public Works, 150 S. Kendall St.
- Kanoe the Kazoo, Marshall to Battle Creek – Aug. 11 – more info to come, kalamazooriver.org
- Calhoun County electronics collection – Aug. 25, 9 a.m.-1 p.m., city Department of Public Works, 150 S. Kendall St.
- Fall cleanup (city residents) – Sept. 17-21
- Krazy for the Kazoo river cleanup – Oct. 6
- City tire collection -- Oct. 8, 4-7 p.m. or until trailer is full, city Department of Public Works, 150 S. Kendall St.
- Fresh Christmas tree curbside pickup (city residents) – Dec. 26-Feb. 1, 2019