Minor Home Repair Program
About the Program
The Minor Home Repair Program provides up to one-half of the cost for roof replacement to a limit of City funding of $12,000; or up to one-half of the total cost with a City limit of $5,000 to fix exterior code compliance orders to repair or other health and safety issues for eligible, low-income homeowners. Most repairs are exterior or interior repairs of plumbing, mechanical, electrical, or accessibility issues such as handicap ramps or door modifications. If needed repairs are too extensive to resolve the code compliance issues, or the health and safety issue, homeowners will not be assisted.
Lead Remediation: The $5,000 amount available for home repair may be increased up to $12,000 for lead remediation when there is a child under the age of six living in the home. The State of Michigan's Lead Safe Home program is another source of funding for needed lead remediation that can be partnered with the City's Minor Home Repair program. For more information on the State of Michigan program: http://www.michigan.gov/documents/CMIapp_11146_7.pdf
- To assist homeowners with limited financial ability, the City of Battle Creek will cover one-half of the cost of a new roof up to $12,000, or other interior or exterior health and safety issues up to $5,000.
- If you do not have the rest of the money, the City of Battle Creek may be able to help with that as well by having the required match to be deferred, no interest loan against the property. A mortgage for the match amount will be recorded. This no interest, no payment loan is due upon sale of the property or death of the deed holder(s). The mortgage may be paid off at any time to clear the deed.
- Funding cannot be used for an item that is covered by warranty or a claim on a homeowner's insurance policy.
- Funding cannot assist renters, manufactured housing or homes on land contracts.
- Funding can only be received one time per property.
This program is administered by the City of Battle Creek through the Community Development Block Grant Program (CDBG) with funding through the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).
An application with supporting documentation must be submitted to apply for the program. In addition to the completed application the following documents will also be needed:
- Proof of Homeownership (copy of the deed, liber and page to the property)
- The declaration page from the current Homeowners Insurance Policy
- Proof of income for all household members (W-2s, 2 months of pay-stubs, tax returns or benefit statements)
- Verification that property taxes are not in forfeiture with Calhoun County
- Copy of Driver's License / Identification Card
To be eligible, you must:
- Live in the City of Battle Creek.
- Have owned and occupied the single family home for at least six months.
- Be not in forfeiture to Calhoun County on property taxes.
- Have current homeowner’s insurance.
- Certify that the property is not up for sale and is the primary residence of the applicant.
- Have a household income (all members) that is at or below the following income guidelines.
Applications are available at:
10 N Division Street
Battle Creek, MI 49014
You may also download the Minor Home Repair Application (PDF) and return it to our office.
Contact: Scott Parker, Minor Home Repair Coordinator
Phone: 269-966-3323, or email: email@example.com