Lead Safe Program (LSP)
About The Program
LSP is a lead-abatement grant funded by Michigan's Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) administered by the City of Battle Creek. In partnership with Community Action Agency of South-Central Michigan, LSP provides lead-abatement and/or interim controls in qualified residences free of charge (yes, we said "free") to the resident or the property owner and serves all of Calhoun County.
Why It Matters
*Lead can harm your child. Lead Poisoning can make it hard for your child to learn, pay attention, and behave. Most Children who have lead poisoning do not look or act sick. The only way to know if your child has lead poisoning is for them to get a blood test for lead.
*Lead poisoning can cause lower IQ, hyperactivity (mimicking ADHD), learning disabilities, hearing problems and in high levels can cause convulsions, coma, and death.
*Lead-based paint is the leading cause of lead poisoning. The federal government banned lead in residential paint products in 1978, but about 75% of Calhoun County's housing stock was built before 1978.
*Children under the age of 6 years old are at greatest risk because they are growing rapidly and because they tend to put their hands or other objects into their mouths.
*Children are at risk of lead poisoning if they live in a house or visit a home/daycare built before 1978 that has paint that is chipping, peeling, cracking or chalking. Lead in paint, house dust and soil is harmful to a child’s health.
*In 2015, less than 24% of Calhoun County’s Children under 6 received Lead Testing. Over 4% of those children tested were at or above the CDC’s action level of 5µg/dl.
- Child under 19 OR
- Pregnant Woman AND
- Enrolled in Medicaid AND
- Live in or frequent a home built before 1978 AND
- The home is in Calhoun County
- **The residence DOES NOT have to be owner-occupied to qualify for LSP
- **Some multi-family homes may qualify
- **Priority is given to applicants with an Elevated Blood Lead Level (EBLL)
- Download & Complete an application
- Mail Application to : ATTN: Lead-Safe Grant Coordinator City of Battle Creek 10 N. Division St. Battle Creek, MI 49014
- Email your completed application to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Submit in person: Battle Creek City Hall, Suite 117 (address above)