We have a huge transition coming next week – no fooling. On April 1 we switch to Republic Services for our curbside garbage, recycling, and yard waste service. We had a contract with Waste Management for many years. We know this is a big change for all of us!
We have some updates to share, based on questions you have asked. We appreciate those. We hope these answers help you.
- Some of you have watched neighbors receive new recycling carts, or rental garbage/yard waste carts, and you did not. We found our recycling database was not complete. We missed getting 500 of you into that database. If you signed up before Feb. 26, you can expect your carts by the end of next week. Republic will deliver from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. this Sunday, too. We are sorry for this mistake.
- If you signed up for Republic carts after Feb. 26, expect those in mid-April. You still have garbage service in the meantime. You can place bags of garbage at the curb. We recommend doing that by 6 a.m. on your service day, so they sit out for less time before pick-up.
- We hand-delivered door hangers to about 2,000 of you whose pick-up day will change. If you want to double-check, our interactive map is updated with Republic days and routes. See it by clicking here. You can also access it at battlecreekmi.gov/recycling.
- If you rent carts from Republic, you can expect the bills by mail after April 15. The bill is for the year, April 1 to March 31.
- Once we reach April 1, call Republic for missed pick-ups and other needs at 888-249-5112. We know when you call this number now, you might receive a frustrating or inaccurate answer. Republic will not have our account active with customer service until April 1. We know this is frustrating, but we are working with it the best we can.
- We have heard from multiple neighbors that the cart collection vendor has dumped trash from the carts without picking it up. We are checking into this. Thanks for telling us.
- We know some of you have received new bills that are confusing. Waste Management told us they generated those bills when you paid past-due balances. This is why they reference resuming service. Please contact WM directly to handle these, at 866-797-9018.
Thank you for your continued patience during this transition. Please know we are working hard to answer your questions, and make this move as smooth as possible.
Have a great weekend,
Your city team