It is officially spring in the city, and that means the start of curbside yard waste pickup, the week of April 3.
We had promoted a different start date (April 10), but that was incorrect, and neighbors can start placing their items April 3. The yard waste pickup season lasts through Friday, Dec. 8.
- Curbside yard waste service is only for neighbors inside the Battle Creek city limits.
- Please place yard waste at the curb on your regular garbage day.
- You must use the large paper bags available for yard waste at most local stores, a cart or container specifically marked for yard waste, or you can rent the brown-lid yard waste cart from Republic. Call them at 269-216-8008 to rent a cart.
- You can place grass clippings, leaves, brush, and sticks inside the bags and carts. For larger branches, please bundle them into four-foot lengths. Each bundle, container, and cart should weigh less than 50 pounds; if you can carry it to the curb, it is probably the correct weight.
The city’s curbside tree debris pickup, after the late-February ice storm, is now complete. Crews visited every neighborhood, so any additional yard waste debris should be prepared for Republic’s curbside pickup.
Here are some other options you can consider for your yard waste:
- Mow leaves with your lawn mower and leave them on your lawn as a natural mulch.
- Compost waste in a corner of your yard.
- Haul yard waste to our residential drop-off compost site, Brice Pit, 715 W. River Road. Current hours are 7:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday, closed Sunday and holidays.
- Hire a private contractor.
Please remember that you may not burn leaves in the city, even with a burn permit.
Find more information about curbside services at battlecreekmi.gov/recycling.