Over the next two months, the City of Battle Creek will hold a series of town hall talks about our $30.5 million American Rescue Plan Act funding.
The weekly conversations will take place at locations around the city. City leaders will share the same information at each, so interested neighbors can attend just one of them. Our goals are to share information about how we can – and cannot – use this money, answer the community’s questions about ARPA, and give an opportunity for neighbors to share their funding ideas.
We will set up each location for social distancing, and we encourage you to wear a mask when you attend. The town halls will be on the following Wednesday evenings from 5-7 p.m., unless a different time is noted.
Also see the Battle Creek Transit bus route information, for those locations on/near a route. Please note that regular bus route service ends at 6:45 p.m. Neighbors can also book Tele-Transit and BCGo rides to attend. Call Transit at 269-966-3474 for help planning a trip.
- Oct. 13 – Kingdom Builders, 50 Spencer St.
- Oct. 20 – Virtual and online – live streamed to the city’s Facebook page and AccessVision – participate by calling (312) 626-6799 and entering the meeting ID 840 6717 6178 – 10 a.m.-noon
- Oct. 20 – Washington Heights United Methodist Church, 153 N. Wood St. (live-streamed to the church’s Facebook page)
3W Kendall-Goodale bus route; closest stop at Parkway Drive/Hancock Court, serviced at :05 and :35 after each hour
- Oct. 27 – New Level Sports Ministries, 400 W. Michigan Ave.
1W West Michigan bus route; closest stop at West Michigan/Kendall Street, services at about :20 after each hour
- Nov. 3 – Lakeview Square Mall, 5775 Beckley Road (use entrance by Barnes & Noble) – 5-6:30 p.m.
4S SW Capital bus route; stop is at the mall, in the back by the flagpole, serviced at :50 after each hour
- Nov. 10 – Burma Center, 765 Upton Ave., Springfield
5W Fort Custer bus route; stop near the Burma Center on Upton, limited service hours
- Nov. 17 – LaMora Park Elementary, 65 N. Woodlawn Ave. – 7-9 p.m.
1W West Michigan bus route; closest stop on LaMora Avenue near Kellogg Street, serviced at :30 after each hour
- Dec. 1 – Kool Family Center, 200 W. Michigan Ave. – hosted with Voces
1W West Michigan bus route; closest stop near West Michigan/Washington Avenue at the Seventh Day Adventist Church, serviced at :15 after each hour
City leaders will present ARPA information, then community leaders Dr. Nakia Baylis and Dr. Elishae Johnson will lead a question and answer session.
Neighbors will be able to submit official ideas for a portion of about $2 million of our ARPA funding that we have not yet assigned. After considering project submissions and ideas, the City Commission will determine how to spend that final $2 million. They will hold a workshop about it in December.
This and much more information is available on the city’s website, battlecreekmi.gov/arpa.
Please note that the City of Battle Creek will provide necessary reasonable auxiliary aids and services, such as closed captioning for the hearing impaired and audiotapes of printed materials being considered in the meeting upon notice to the City of Battle Creek.
Individuals with disabilities requiring auxiliary aids or services should contact the City of Battle Creek by writing or calling the following at least seven days in advance:
Battle Creek City Clerk
Battle Creek, MI 49016
(269) 966-3378 (Voice)
(269) 966-3348 (TDD)