We are under a heat advisory until 10 p.m. Wednesday, with a combination of temperature and humidity expected to give us a heat index of up to 103.
If you or someone you know need a place to keep cool, the following are active NOW in Battle Creek:
-SHARE Center, 120 Grove St., 269-964-8133 - 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
Will have water available.
-Haven of Rest Ministries, 11 Green St., 269-965-1148 - 24/7
-Battle Creek Shelter, 209 E. Michigan Ave., 269-309-6143 - 24/7
-The Salvation Army, 400 Capital Ave. NE, 269-963-3640 - 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
The American Red Cross shares tips and steps to take during a heat wave, and how to recognize someone experiencing a heat-related emergency. Check that out here: https://www.battlecreekmi.gov/DocumentCenter/View/10240/Red-Cross-heat-wave-info
Outside the city, we are aware of cooling shelters as follows --
The Public Library will be open from 9 a.m.-8 p.m. and the children's room open from 2-7 p.m.
Tractor Supply will be open for pet owners and pets.
Open Swim at the Opportunity High School:
Tuesday 2-4 p.m.
Wednesday 1-4 p.m.
Albion College Ludington Center will be open both days from 12-5 p.m.
Mayor's office in City Hall 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
ADPS Lobby will be open 24/7
Forks Senior Center is open to seniors from 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
Cooling shelters in Marshall are as follows:
- Marshal District Library, 124 W. Green St., 269-781-7821
- Hours: 10 a.m.-8:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday; 10 a.m.-5:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday
- Cross Roads Church and Ministries, 717 US Hwy 27N, 269-781-9094
- Hours: 10 a.m.-3 p.m., Tuesday through Friday
- Franke Center for the Arts, 214 E. Mansion St. 269-789-9677
- Hours: 9:30 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday through Friday
There is a cooling shelter in Homer: The Homer Community House will be a designated cooling center Tuesday and Wednesday from 8 a.m.-6 p.m.