BATTLE CREEK, Mich. — Contractors resumed work on a sewer lining project yesterday, Wednesday, Oct. 19, which will lead to additional road closures, as well as a transit detour.
The resumed sewer lining project will add a lining to a large sanitary sewer pipe in the east-central part of the city.
The project will affect Capital Avenue SW., between Territorial Road and Columbia Avenue, as well as some additional side streets, as follows:
- Wednesday, Oct. 19 – Capital Avenue SW. and Grandview Court closed to through traffic; Contractors to bring in materials and equipment to re-start the bypass; Work hours of 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Thursday, Oct. 20 – Capital Avenue SW. and Grandview Court closed to through traffic; Work hours of 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Friday, Oct. 21 – Ramps should be in place on Capital Avenue SW. to allow for local traffic to resume
- Saturday, Oct. 22 – Capital Avenue SW. open to local traffic, with ramps in place; No scheduled work
- Sunday, Oct. 23 – Capital Avenue SW. open to local traffic, with ramps in place; No scheduled work
- Monday, Oct. 24 – Capital Avenue SW. open to local traffic, with ramps in place; Contractors on site preparing for Oct. 25 scheduled work
- Tuesday, Oct. 25 – Capital Avenue SW. open to local traffic, with ramps in place; Grandview Court, from Capital Avenue SW. to Grand Boulevard, will be hard-closed for the sewer lining to be installed; Grand Boulevard closed to through traffic, local traffic only; Work hours of 7 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Wednesday, Oct. 26 – Contractors on site to finishing cleaning sewer pipes; Capital Avenue SW. MAY transition to hard-closure, if project is finished and bypass starts to be deconstructed
- Thursday, Oct. 27 – Capital Avenue SW. hard-closed, as contractors deconstruct the bypass
- Friday, Oct. 28 – POSSIBLE hard-closure of Capital Avenue SW., if needed, for finishing deconstruction of bypass
As a reminder, all local businesses along the Capital Avenue SW. closure are OPEN FOR BUSINESS.
The resumed sewer lining project will also lead to a Battle Creek Transit bus detour. Specifically, the 4S - SW Capital Avenue bus will detour through the completion of the project, as follows:
- Outbound: The 4S - SW Capital Avenue bus will turn right on W. Territorial Road, left on Highland Avenue, left on Iroquois Avenue, right on Capital Avenue SW., and resume its regular route.
- Inbound: The 4S - SW Capital Avenue bus will turn left on Iroquois Avenue, right on Highland Avenue, right on W. Territorial Road, left on Capital Avenue SW. and resume its regular route.
The 4S - SW Capital Avenue bus will also MISS the following stops during the detour, through the completion of the project:
- Outbound: Capital Avenue SW./Orleans Avenue, with the closest temporary stop at Highland Avenue/Wentworth Avenue.
- Inbound: 713 Capital Avenue SW., with the nearest temporary stop on Iroquois Avenue at Baum-Johnson Insurance Agency; Capital Avenue SW./Grandview Court, with the nearest temporary stop being near 141 Highland Avenue.
As always, if you need any assistance planning your trip or have questions, please call Battle Creek Transit dispatch at, 269-966-3474, and sign up for Transit alert notifications at battlecreekmi.gov/notifyme.
As the sewer lining project moves, neighbors will receive door hangers 24 hours ahead of work on their streets. While non-excessive toilet use will be OK, we will ask neighbors to delay washing clothes and dishes, and any other heavy water uses, for about 24 hours after the work moves through, so the lining adhesive can set.
The project started Sept. 6 at Wentworth Avenue/Foster Avenue. It has moved to Foster/Orleans Avenue, Orleans/Capital Avenue SW., Capital SW./Grandview Court, and will finish at Grandview/Grand Boulevard. Work is moving from one manhole to the next, along the route.
This project will add a lining to a 24-inch to 30-inch sanitary sewer main that has been deteriorating inside, due to naturally occurring hydrogen sulfide gas. The lining will protect the concrete pipe and restore the main to its original thickness. It will also add at least 70 years to the design life of the sewer main. The lining is a felt material that will stick to the pipe with a wet resin.
Neighbors might notice some odor from the resin – a glue-like smell. Please contact our Department of Public Works with any questions at, 269-966-3343.
We appreciate everyone’s patience during all work on our city’s infrastructure.