BATTLE CREEK, Mich. — City contractors, from Balkema Excavating, will begin installing new water main, as part of a project to provide new water main connections, along sections of Helmer Road and Beckley Road Monday, June 5.
The specific sections of Helmer Road and Beckley Road that will be affected by this project include:
- Helmer Road South, from the intersection of Helmer and the westbound I-94 entrance ramp to Beckley Road
- Beckley Road, from the intersection of Beckley and Helmer Road South to the intersection of Beckley and Minges Road South
During this water main installation work, the sections of Helmer Road and Beckley Road mentioned above will be closed to through traffic. Neighbors will still be able to travel to and from their homes in this area throughout the project.
The water main installation work will occur in two phases. The first phase will begin at the intersection of Helmer Road South and the westbound I-94 entrance ramp, then head south down Helmer toward its intersection with Beckley Road. The section of Helmer Road will be closed during this phase. The second phase will progress east down Beckley toward its intersection with Minges Road South. The section of Beckley Road will be closed during this phase.
Due to the necessary closure of through traffic in these areas, the following detours will be in place.
During the first phase along Helmer Road South:
- Northbound Helmer Road South traffic: Turn right on Beckley Road, turn left on Riverside Drive, turn left on Columbia Avenue, and then turn right to resume northbound on Helmer Road
- Southbound Helmer Road South traffic: Turn left on Columbia Avenue, turn right on Riverside Drive, turn right on Beckley Road, and then turn left to resume southbound on Helmer Road
During the second phase along Beckley Road:
- Eastbound Beckley Road traffic: Turn left on Helmer Road South, turn right on Columbia Avenue, turn right on Riverside Drive, and then turn left to resume eastbound on Beckley Road
- Westbound Beckley Road traffic: Turn right on Riverside Drive, turn left on Columbia Avenue, turn left on Helmer Road South, and then turn right to resume westbound on Beckley Road
Due to a water main material shortage, this project that was originally planned in 2022 was delayed until 2023. Contractor crews expect that this work will be completed by the end of November 2023, weather permitting. Work hours will generally be from 7 a.m.-7 p.m. during the project.
This project will include removing the existing asphalt; installing new water main, fire hydrants, and water services to the right of way; and then finally repaving with new asphalt.
There are currently no water main connections to the city’s water system in this area. Neighbors in this area wishing to connect their home to the city’s water system should contact the city’s Engineering Division at, 269-966-3343. The engineering team will be able to walk neighbors through what that process entails, including pricing to connect their home.
We encourage neighbors to sign up for the Capital SW Connection alerts in order to stay up to date with updates for this water main installation project, as the work progresses, as well as for other upcoming projects in this same area of the city this summer.
To sign up, visit the Notify Me section of the city’s website at, battlecreekmi.gov/list.aspx. It will prompt you to enter an email address and/or phone number. You will then find the Capital SW Connection alert under the Notify Me category. You then will select either the email icon or phone icon, or both, depending on how you wish to receive updates.
We appreciate everyone’s patience during all work on our city’s infrastructure.