After a hiatus during the COVID-19 pandemic, city Planning staff is back with a completed draft of our updated Non-Motorized Transportation plan – focused on non-car amenities and connections – and is looking for community comments.
The plan update started in 2019 to re-evaluate the community’s needs and address the remaining work from our current plan, adopted in 2006. The community has worked hard with us to develop the content in this new plan and, now that COVID is no longer an emergency, we are back to finish this important update.
We have a public, virtual information session coming up, set for 5:30-7 p.m. next Wednesday, June 21. Our planning consultant Lynee Wells from Allied Planning will share what is in the draft plan, and she and city staff will answer questions. All are welcome, and you can participate in these ways:
- Call in to participate live during the question-and-answer time – call 312-626-6799 by phone and enter the meeting ID 852-6027-3182.
- Watch live on the city’s YouTube channel, and offer comments and questions in the live chat.
- Watch the replay on YouTube later, and offer your comments in these additional ways:
- Call Planning staff at 269-966-3311
- Email Planning Supervisor Darcy Schmitt at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Use our quick, online form
The draft plan is reader-friendly, and available on our website, battlecreekmi.gov. Look for the NMTP in the City Spotlights.
The NMTP aims to, among other things:
- Improve pedestrian and bicycle connections and safety
- Enhance canoe and kayak waterways and amenities
- Make strategic decisions for features that will add growth and value
- Examine sidewalks, bike lanes, the city’s Linear Park, and trails for safety, extensions, and maintenance
- Ensure safe routes to school
Add more connections between people and places