As we often experience this time of year, after heavy rains, the high water level of the Battle Creek River has required some street and recreation closures this week.
As of this morning, the National Weather Service has issued a flood warning for Battle Creek through late Friday night. In particular, the alert mentions minor flooding expected along Elm and Union streets.
City Field Services staff continue to monitor conditions, and post barricades as needed.
Current closures are:
- Linear Park path under the Emmett Street bridge, near Wagner Drive, and under the West Michigan Avenue bridge, downtown
- Sections of the Linear Park path along Jackson Street, from Angell to Stringham
- Sections of the Linear Park path in Bailey Park
- ANYbodies Playground and the boat launch parking area at Bailey Park
- Stone Jug Road, from Gethings to Ridgeview
Division Drive has reopened, though barricades will remain nearby.
Please use caution in these areas, and try to avoid flooded recreation areas and streets. Do not drive over roads completely covered with water.