Ready for the new year, the free 2020 wall calendar featuring Calhoun County Kalamazoo River Watershed images from local photographers is available at locations throughout the region.
The Battle Creek Area Clean Water Partners create the calendar. Some of the featured photos for each month come from the regular Clean Water Partners photo contest, which calls for seasonal photos from within the watershed.
The Kalamazoo River and St. Joseph River watersheds are the two major ones within Calhoun County. The calendar gives examples of the beauty within them and brings focus to groundwater, the source of our drinking water. Area neighbors can follow the simple tips outlined in the calendar to help protect our water from pollution sources, sustaining it for future generations.
Calendars are available at locations throughout the county, including city and township halls, Calhoun County buildings, Battle Creek and Lakeview schools, City of Battle Creek facilities, Bronson Battle Creek Hospital, and the downtown Calhoun County Visitors Bureau Welcome Center. They are available at both Battle Creek City Hall, 10 N. Division St., and the Department of Public Works, 150 S. Kendall St. It is also available as a PDF on our website, www.battlecreekmi.gov/publicworks. Click Environmental Services on the left side of the page.
The Battle Creek Area Clean Water Partners are the City of Battle Creek, City of Springfield, Calhoun County Road Department, Calhoun County Water Resources Commission, townships of Bedford, Emmett, Leroy, Newton and Pennfield, the Hart-Dole-Inouye Federal Center, Kellogg Community College, and Battle Creek area schools. The members have the common goal of protecting our area’s waterways. See www.bcwater.org for more information.
Here are 2020 dates for our various annual events and activities (watch our calendars and social media for any additional events scheduled later) –
- Styrofoam No. 6 collection – Jan. 11, 9a.m.-noon, city Department of Public Works, 150 S. Kendall
- Yard waste curbside pickup (within city limits) – March 30-Dec. 4
- Recyclerama – April 4, 9 a.m.-1 p.m.; Bailey Park, 1392 Capital Ave. NE
- Electronics, scrap metal, and scrap tires collection – April 25, 9 a.m.-3 p.m., Ketchum Field, Albion
- Spring cleanup (within city limits) – May 4-8
- Children’s Water Festival – May 8
- Calhoun County Household Hazardous Waste collections – 1) May 2, 10 a.m.-noon, county building, parking lot at Hanover and Grand streets, Marshall; 2) June 6, 10 a.m.-noon, Toeller Building, 190 E. Michigan Ave., Battle Creek; 3) Sept. 26, 10 a.m.-noon, county building, parking lot at Hanover and Grand streets, Marshall
- Kanoe the Kazoo, Marshall to Battle Creek – Aug. 8 – more info to come, kalamazooriver.org
- Electronics and Styrofoam collection – Aug. 22, 9 a.m.-1 p.m., city Department of Public Works, 150 S. Kendall
- Fall cleanup (within city limits) – Sept. 14-18
- Krazy for the Kazoo river cleanup – Oct. 3
- Fresh Christmas tree curbside pickup (within city limits) – Dec. 26-Jan. 29, 2021