NEW! Republic Services will provide curbside services starting April 1, 2021
The city's current waste hauling contract expires March 31, 2021, so we worked through the process to received service proposals in 2020. Republic Services provided the lowest responsive, responsible bid, staff recommended them to the City Commission, and the commission approved the new contract on Dec. 15.
Services will mostly stay the same (FAQ coming soon), but to continue recycling in the city, you MUST tell Republic you wish to do so. You can do that in a few ways:
- Our preferred method - complete this simple web form - Click here to access the web form
- This form also allows you to indicate you would like to rent a trash and/or yard waste cart from Republic. This is a separate bill, directly from Republic.
- Call Republic - 269-216-8008
- Send Republic an email - BCrecycles@republicservices.com
If you call or email, please include your name, address, phone number, and email address. You can also say if you would like to rent a trash and/or yard waste cart from Republic.
If you choose to recycle, you will receive a Republic recycling cart at no cost to you.
Información en Español
Information in Burmese
The city has a contract with Waste Management to provide these services, as well as special spring and fall cleanups, and more.
Questions about any of these services? Call Waste Management customer service at 866-797-9018.
- Waste Management maintains a website specific to Battle Creek with the holiday schedule, service information, web forms to report missed pickups, and more. Check it out at this link: Waste Management for Battle Creek
- New to the city, or otherwise need to look up your service day? Type your address into our interactive map, at this link: Trash and Recycling Map
- Note that trash pickup is weekly, and recycling pickup is every other week. When you find your green or yellow week on the map above, we encourage you to print the recycling calendar, in this flyer.
- Yard waste: Typically lasting each year from late March to late November, leaves and other yard waste can be placed at the curb for pickup on neighbors' regular collection day.
Click here for more information on yard waste and leaf disposal.
Curbside recycling is included in your monthly city utility bill. Simply place all recyclables together in bin and set at the curb by 6 a.m. on your normal trash pick-up service day.
Questions? Contact Waste Management at 866-797-9018.
Also check out Waste Management's Recycle Often Recycle Right web page.
The city and Calhoun County coordinate on a variety of special recycling events throughout the year, for items like household hazardous waste, scrap tires, and more. See those on the calendar above, with more detail at the Calhoun County Recycling website.
- Make sure your items are clean and dry before placing them in your cart.
- No plastic bags in your recycling cart.
- Keep all items loose in the cart -- do not place items in plastic or paper bags.
- When in doubt, throw it out. If you are not 100 percent sure an item can be recycled in Battle Creek, throw it in the trash. This eliminates the possibility of contaminating your entire cart.
Recycling drop-off locations
For additional recycling needs beyond the curbside, check out the following locations for no-cost recycling.
For additional information on how to recycle specific items, visit earth911.com.
- Waste Management drop-off facility -- 4547 Wayne Road, Springfield
Location accepts cardboard, plastics, aluminum, and glass. Please place items loose -- NO plastic bags.
- Calhoun County Marshall Recycling Center -- 13300 15 Mile Road, Marshall
Hours: Noon-3 p.m. Tuesday/Thursday; 9 a.m.-noon Wednesdays, and third Saturday of the month
You must wear a mask and remain in your vehicle. Place items in the furthest part of your vehicle (trunk or truck bed).
See acceptable materials guide at calhouncountyrecycling.com.
- C&C Landfill -- 14800 P Drive North, Marshall
Hours: 7 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday; 7 a.m.-noon Saturday (Closed Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's Day)
Location accepts paper, cardboard, plastic, metal cans, and glass.
Click this link to request a recycling pass.
- Red Med Box -- Battle Creek Police Department lobby, 34 N. Division St.
If you have unwanted or expired medications, leave them in the original or prescription bottle, cross out your name and address (but leave the medication name visible), and deposit in the Red Med Box.
DO NOT deposit needles, thermometers, IV bags, bloody/infectious waste, hydrogen peroxide, business waste (like from a nursing home), empty containers, or personal care products (like shampoo).