Have a leaky roof? Are shingles falling off or deteriorating? The city’s Community Development Division will help at least 15 homeowners replace their roofs this spring.
Staff is focusing the Minor Home Repair Program on roofs, an important aspect of home maintenance that helps protect the home investments in the community.
To be eligible for this city program, applicants must:
- Live within the Battle Creek city limits
- Have owned and occupied the single-family home for at least six months
- Be current on property taxes
- Have current homeowner’s insurance
- Certify that the property is not up for sale and is the applicant’s primary residence
- Have a household income at or below:
To assist eligible homeowners, the city will cover half of the cost of a new roof, up to $12,000. The city also may be able to help with the rest of the cost by providing the required match as a deferred, no-interest loan against the property. For more information on that, contact Housing Rehabilitation Coordinator Matt Flanders at 269-966-3323.
The city receives federal Community Development Block Grant funding for this purpose through the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.
Program applications are available online, battlecreekmi.gov/communitydevelopment. Navigate to Minor Home Repair Program. Applications also are available in Room 117 at City Hall, 10 N. Division St., from 8 a.m.-5 p.m., Monday through Friday.