Police Career Opportunities
We anticipate a continuous hiring process over the next 18 months. An active hiring eligibility list is being established. Women, Minorities, and Military Veterans are encouraged to apply.
City of Battle Creek Police Department: Serving with Pride for Over 100 Years.
About the Department
The Battle Creek Police Department serves one of the largest incorporated areas in the State of Michigan. Service is provided to the City of Battle Creek and Bedford Township.
The department is professionally staffed by sworn officers and assisted by civilian employees. This team responds to over 60,000 calls for service annually and provides a variety of services.
Chat with the Battle Creek Police Department
Fill out this form with your information to chat directly with members of the Battle Creek Police Department. Start the conversation and get your questions answered about a career in law enforcement!
Police Training Officer
In 2007 the Battle Creek Police Department transitioned to the Police Training Officer program. This is a 16-week training program that will evaluate 15 core competencies that the trainee will focus on. This program addresses the changing philosophies required for effective policing in America today. It is specifically mentioned in the President's Task Force on 21st Century Policing as a model to teach new officers how to think proactively with their community through the use of adult based learning strategies.
During their 16 week-long program, the trainee will also research and present two problem-based learning exercises (PBLE) and one neighborhood portfolio exercise (NPE). The PBLE's are ill-structured in nature and the trainee will look at multiple responses when responding to these calls. The NPE is an assessment of a geographically known area of the city that will assist the officer in building a foundation of problem solving and identifying resources within the city and the community.
Participants will learn how to use and teach community policing strategies, emotional intelligence, and problem-based learning. Each of the program components are thoroughly taught and practiced. This challenging course teaches program mechanics, training foundations, organizational leadership, and personal accountability through community learning.
The 15 Core Competencies that are Evaluated
The Employment Process
- Complete an application for employment here.
- Participate in the entry level Police Officer Examination.
- If chosen for further consideration beyond exam, interview with a panel of Battle Creek Police Officers, other City employees and a resident of the service area.
- From those who interview, selected applicants are asked to complete and return a background history questionnaire and submit proof of passing Michigan Commission on Law Enforcement Standards (MCOLES) pre-service exam.
- Candidates under serious consideration will be subject to extensive background investigation.
- Selected candidates will be extended a conditional offer of hire.
- Prior to start date undergo physical and psychological evaluation as directed.
- 40 hour work week; time and 1-half for overtime
- Health Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Pension Program - 3.0% Multiplier up to 80% of base wag
- Paid Time Off (up to 5 weeks)
- Long-Term Disability
- Deferred Compensation (457)
- Holiday Pay
- Education Bonus
Fill out the online Employment Application through the Human Resources page.