- Your Government
- Community Services
- Community Development
- BCPS Housing Incentive Program
BCPS Housing Incentive Program
Everyone benefits when teachers live in communities where they work. Battle Creek Public Schools and the City of Battle Creek are partnering to offer the BCPS Housing Incentive Program, which provides financial assistance to help teachers and administrators to live in a targeted area in the city by providing down payment assistance and rent allowances.
Interactive Map Link: https://battlecreekmi.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=efe3d68c5a3b46f18c43a05ed9a324d1
The BCPS Housing Incentive Program is designed to attract teachers to live in neighborhoods within the district, by providing down payment assistance or rental assistance. Teachers and administrators are just as vital to the community as they are to our schools and students, and we want to ensure they can lay roots here in Battle Creek.
How it works
Home Purchase Assistance - new Homeowners (within a targeted program area) - Eligible applicants, who are new home buyers within the BCPS school district, can receive $10,000 financial assistance -- or a maximum of 20 percent of the home’s value -- toward the down payment and closing costs, or for mortgage buy-down to reduce monthly mortgage expenses. Teachers that choose to buy within the primary target area (those areas of the BCPS district that are within the Battle Creek city limit) can receive up to $20,000 of assistance (still capped at 20 percent of the home's value).
Eligible applicants must remain employed by BCPS and use the home as their primary residence for at least three years. Those who do not fulfill the criteria will be responsible for 100 percent repayment of the benefit.
Rental Assistance - Eligible applicants can receive up to $4,500 in rental funds for new 12 month leases signed before December 31, 2024.
Eligible applicants must remain employed by BCPS, and use the rental as their primary residence, for the duration of the 12 month lease. Those who do not fulfill the criteria will be responsible for 100 percent repayment of the benefit.
- Contract personnel to serve as a point of contact for applicants; review of application;, field questions from applicants, Realtors and lenders regarding the home buying and rehabilitation process; and make referrals to home buyer education and credit repair agencies as needed.
- Process and make payments to landlords on participant's behalf.
- Process all program paperwork and confirms rental unit or home for purchase meet program requirements.
Lending, home buyer education, and credit counseling
- Pool of lenders available with loan products designed to complement the program.
- City will assemble local home buyer education and credit repair options for applicants.
- Program Target Area map
- Housing Incentive Application
- Policy and Procedures
- Battle Creek Rental Assistance Resource Sheet
- Battle Creek Public School Rental Assistance Flyer
- Battle Creek Public School Housing Incentive Flyer
For more information contact the Enrollment Coordinator, Laura Otte, at 269-966-3330 or email@example.com