The City of Battle Creek is pleased to offer electronic plan submission and review through bsaonline.com customers can submit their permit application online and upload plans at the same time. No more paper plan deliveries to our office!
- Easily submit plans, specifications, and other supporting documents electronically using drag and drop functionality
- Automated sheet versioning utilized for processing and attaching plan pages to previously submitted versions
- Access mark-ups and view comments or conditions documented by each reviewer
- Quickly identify the status of the current review cycle
- Final stamped PDF plan sets available for download
- ADDITIONAL PERMIT INFORMATION
- WHY GO DIGITAL?
- GENERAL DOCUMENT STANDARDS
- ADDITIONAL RESIDENTIAL BUILDING DESIGN REQUIREMENTS
- ADDITIONAL COMMERCIAL BUILDING DESIGN REQUIREMENTS
- FLATTENING PDF LAYERS
- SUBMITTING PLANS AND DOCUMENTS
- REVIEW COMMENTS - ISSUES & CONDITIONS
- SUBMITTING REVISIONS
- WHAT IF I HAVE PAPER PLANS?
- TUTORIALS & ASSISTANCE
Forms and Information
- 2015 RESIDENTIAL DECK GUIDE CURRENT
- Basement Finishing Guide
- Building_Permit_Application 3.19
- CBCBD Certificate of Occupancy Application
- Commercial Final Inspection checklist
- Commercial Plan Review Checklist
- Contractor Registration Form
- Digital plan Document-Standards
- Electrical Plan
- Home_Repair__Improvement_Handout_9.1.15_498803_7 from state
- mcl-Act-6-of-2008 owner transfer act
- Mechanical Plan
- New Application Narrative Zoning
- New Business Owner information sheet
- New Checklist Zoning
- Plumbing Plan
- POOL REQUIREMENTS
- Registered Design Professional Form
- Residential Plan Review Check List
- Roof Data Design Sheet.docx
- state law information in one place
WHY GO DIGITAL?
We’ve moved to electronic plan review for several reasons.
We recognize that driving to our office to submit two paper plan sets can be challenging. With BS&A online transition seamlessly from online application submission to digital plan upload!
Additionally, a lot of paper, printing, and archiving costs are eliminated through a digital review process.
GENERAL DOCUMENT STANDARDS
There are a few document standards that we recommend for best uploading performance. Please follow these guidelines in your document design to ensure correct processing in BS&A.
- All files must be in PDF file format
- Maximum file size is 100MB
- Do not use encrypted or password-protected files
- All layers in the PDF will need to be flattened (including seals, signatures, notations)
- Please don't combine any supporting documents in the same PDF file with any plan sheets - they will need to be uploaded as separate files
- Arrange plans in a landscape view
- Title block must be located in the lower right-hand corner
- Make sure sheet numbers are unique and consistent for each version of submitted plan pages
- All layers will need to be flattened
- Generate plans to scale (e.g. 1/4" = 1’, 1/8” = 1’ or 1:10)
- Any annotations in the PDF will be removed during the submission process
- When possible, please include a table of contents when exporting/publishing to the PDF (ex. Include “Create bookmarks”) setting in AutoCAD*
- Include sheet titles within a table of contents when possible*
- You can upload multiple files, including plans, at the same time
- When submitting revisions, please do not resubmit the entire plan set, only upload the sheets containing changes from the previous submission*
- You can submit supporting documents as individual files or as a single file with multiple pages
- Document files may be oriented in either landscape or portrait view
*Asterisk indicates recommended document standard - not required for submission
Climatic and Geographic Design Criteria
- Ground snow load (pounds per square foot): 30
- Frost line depth (inches): 42
- Seismic zone: A
- Basic wind speed (miles per hour): 115
ADDITIONAL RESIDENTIAL BUILDING DESIGN REQUIREMENTS
Post Frame Construction
Code Standards Post Frame Buildings
ADDITIONAL COMMERCIAL BUILDING DESIGN REQUIREMENTS
There are a few additional items required for commercial plans. Please note that the document standards below are applicable to commercial plans only and are in addition to our general document standards listed in the above tab.
Commercial Plan Standards
- Plans submitted for review for all work involving multiple family dwellings (3+ units), mixed-use occupancies, commercial uses, or industrial uses must bear the signature AND seal of a registered architect or engineer.
- Please be sure to flatten all layers on the plan sheets (including seal and signature)
- Fire rated assemblies must have the applicable UL design numbers included in the specification booklet or shown on the plans.
Climatic and Geographic Design Criteria
- Ground Snow Load (pounds per square foot): 30
- Frost Line Depth (inches): 42
- Seismic Zone: A
- Basic Windspeed (miles per hour): 115
- Deferral of any submittal items shall have the prior approval of the Building Official in accordance with Michigan Building Code, section 18.104.22.168; Online applications indicating deferred plans does not constitute approval of a deferral.
- The "Registered Design Professional in Responsible Charge" shall list the deferred submittals on the construction documents for review by the Building Official.
- Documents for deferred submittal items shall be submitted to the "Registered Design Professional in Responsible Charge" who shall review them and make a notation on the plans indicating that the deferred submittal documents have been reviewed and in general conformance to the design of the building.
- Deferred submittal items shall not be installed or constructed until the deferred submittal documents have been approved by the Building Official and applicable permits have been issued.
- The following uses are ineligible for deferred plan submittal and all plans are required at the time of submittal: Restaurants, Assembly, Auto Service, Nail Salons, and Hazardous Occupancies. Incomplete applications/plans for other uses may or may not be accepted for review, as determined by the Building Official.
FLATTENING PDF LAYERS
When submitting plans or completed PDF forms, please be sure to flatten all layers (seals, signatures, notations) in the PDF. Otherwise, those layers and fields will be eliminated and not visible for the reviewers.
The easiest way to flatten a PDF is to "Print to PDF." To do this, please follow the steps below:
- Open the PDF file
- Select File
- Select Print
- From the drop-down menu of Printer options, select Adobe PDF
- Click Print
- Specify the location to save the printed, "flattened" version of the document or form
- Select Save
SUBMITTING PLANS AND DOCUMENTS
We’re posting video tutorials to walk you through the process of uploading and submitting documents.
Document Upload Times
Once you’ve uploaded and validated your files, they will be processed in our system. Here’s what BS&A Online does with your plans during processing:
- Separates them into individual sheets
- Scans them via optical character recognition to identify sheet numbers
- Attaches them to previously submitted versions
- Prepares them for web and mobile access
There’s a lot going on!
Most documents will only take 1-2 minutes to process, but larger plan sets could take a bit longer. But you don’t need to wait on us!
After you’ve clicked the "Submit" button, you can close the window and even exit out of the entire BS&A Online website. Your files will continue to process in our system!
When the processing is finished, you’ll receive an email notification of receipt of your application.
REVIEW COMMENTS - ISSUES & CONDITIONS
Issues are items that will need to be addressed and fixed prior to plan approval. Once created, each open issue will require a brief response in BS&A prior to a new review cycle being available to submit revisions.
Conditions are items that may require action by the customer but do not need to be addressed prior to plan approval. Unlike issues, conditions do not require a response in BS&A. However, while the project is being inspected, conditions will need to be met before final approval can be granted.
Plan Review Guide
Submitting revisions has never been easier. Through BS&A you only need to submit sheets containing revisions, not the entire plan package.
At the end of the plan review process, BS&A will automatically combine all approved versions of each sheet into one final, stamped PDF plan set.
Options for submitting plans
- Submit Digital Plans Using BS&A Online
- Make an appointment to bring paper plans for digitizing.
Option 1: Submit Digital Plans Using BS&A Online (Preferred)
If you have access to the digital files of your plans, you can do one of the following, depending on whether you’re submitting your permit application online:
- Submit your permit application online through BS&A Online and upload plans at the same time.
Option 2: Bring Paper Plans to the Inspections Office
- Submit your permit application through BS&A Online and make an appointment (269-966-3382) to digitize paper plans. We will attach digital plans to your application.
Options 1 & 2, you will still have the ability to access review comments, issues, conditions, and plan sheet mark-ups online through BS&A Online.
Plan Digitization Fees
- First Page: $15
- Each Additional Page: $5
10 N Division Street
Battle Creek, MI 49014
Marcie GilletteCommunity Services DirectorPhone: 269-966-3355
Richard BolekInspections SupervisorPhone: 269-966-3382
Billy WillsMechanical InspectorPhone: 269-966-3382 Ext 1277
Don WilkinsonBuilding OfficialPhone: 269-966-3382 x1274
Paul SheldonElectrical InspectorPhone: 269-966-3382 Ext 1276
William CarpenterPlumbing InspectorPhone: 269-966-2255