- Your Government
About the Department
- City ordinances require the City Treasurer to collect and deposit money owed the city for various services and taxes.
- State law also requires the Treasurer to serve on the Police and Fire Pension Board.
- The Treasurer receives payments for utility bills, invoices, income taxes, and special assessments.
- The Treasurer also bills and collects property taxes for the city, schools, county, library, community college and state. The money collected is periodically sent to the other taxing jurisdictions.
- In addition to billing and collecting, the Treasurer's division receives, records and deposits all city revenue.
2022 Property Taxes
2022 summer tax bills were due Monday, August 22, 2022. (A 3% late penalty was applied 08/23/2022)
2022 winter tax bills were due Tuesday, February 14, 2023. (A 3% late penalty was applied 02/15/2023)
THE LAST DAY TO ACCEPT 2022 REAL PROPERTY TAX PAYMENTS IS TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 28, 2023, BY 5:00 PM. TAXES NOT RECEIVED ON OR BEFORE 5:00 PM, WILL BE TRANSFERRED TO THE CALHOUN COUNTY TREASURER. POSTMARKS ARE NOT ACCEPTED FOR THIS DEADLINE.
To pay taxes, a customer can pay in person until 5pm on or before 2/28/23 (debit/credit card service fees apply), put in our freestanding drop box located in the drive up lane to the Northeast of City Hall's main entrance until 5pm 2/28/23, pay online with a debit/credit card or electronic check (service fees apply) until 5pm 2/28/23 or pay over the phone with a debit/credit card (only) (service fees apply) by calling 269-966-3311 until 5pm 2/28/23.
The deadline to submit an Application for Deferment of Summer Taxes for 2022 has passed.
If you did not submit an application on or before September 14, 2022 you are no longer eligible for deferment.
2021 Real Property Taxes
2021 real property taxes (your home and land) are delinquent and can no longer be paid to the City of Battle Creek. In accordance with state tax law, real property taxes have been transferred to:
Calhoun County Treasurer
315 W Green Street
Marshall, MI 49068
Contact the county treasurer's office for payoff information at 269-781-0807.
2021 Personal Property and Special Act Taxes
2021 Personal Property taxes are delinquent and still held by the City Treasurer for collection. Other parcel classifications collected by the City are for building on leased land, IFT (PA 198), OPRA, and Public Act 189 parcels.